This is a tutorial for setting up a DD-WRT router to have a separate isolated (virtual) guest wifi access point. At the end of the tutorial you will have two wifi networks, one private, and one public for the guests. Guests will not have access to the router or anything else on your network.
- Your build must be ≥ 23020. There should be a network already running and you can access the internet.
- Create the virtual access point for your guests.
- Optional: Go to Wireless -> Wireless Security, choose your encryption for the guest wifi.
- Now enable DHCPD for the guest wifi so IP addresses can be assigned.
- Optional: Setup Quality of service (QoS) to limit guest network bandwidth.
- Restart the router. Important because I found sometimes changing settings they take a while to activate and you’re not sure if it has had any effect.
Links I found useful.